21™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years?

+11
Latin Peer
Wayland Hubbard
Simuel Oliver
Santosh Patel
Danny Grant
Maryanne Le'Touie
Oswald Medley
Steve Cabral
Kelly Lazzaro
Riley Moon
Nicholas Jacobs Jr.
15 posters

Go down

Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years? Empty Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years?

Post by Nicholas Jacobs Jr. Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm

A recent poll conducted by the Pew Research Center found that Americans overwhelmingly rank Obama as the best president during their lifetime. Nearly one-third of participants ranked him as their 1st choice and 13% ranked him as their 2nd choice. For comparison, 10% listed Trump as their 1st, 3% for Bush, 13% for Clinton, 3% for H.W., 21% for Reagan, and so on. The complete results along with an analysis and commentary by Pew can be seen here: Obama Tops Public’s List of Best President in Their Lifetime, Followed by Clinton, Reagan

Vox used this poll as an opportunity to bash Trump for receiving such a low ranking compared to his predecessor, and perhaps rightfully so. He received a third less of the support than Obama. The full article by Vox can be seen here: Americans were asked to name the best president of their lifetime, and Obama won. But I'd be curious to know how much of that is people looking back on an idealized picture of Obama's presidency in contrast to the current events. I think history absolves many of a political leader's wrongdoings, and people often remember the highlights much more vividly than the low points. I think if Obama were still in office and his predecessor was Trump, the numbers would be flipped.

Nevertheless, this poll raises an interesting question: Who was the best president of the last 80 years? Is any president over- or underrated in this poll?
Nicholas Jacobs Jr.
Nicholas Jacobs Jr.
Lealand University
Lealand University

Posts Posts : 8
Karma Karma : 5
Cash Cash : 2192
Joined Joined : 2011

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u128rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years? Empty Re: Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years?

Post by Riley Moon Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Barack Obama, it's simple. /thread
Riley Moon
Riley Moon
Freedom Society of Fellows

Posts Posts : 5
Karma Karma : 42
Cash Cash : 3417

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u42rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years? Empty Re: Who was the best U.S. president of the last 80 years?

Post by Kelly Lazzaro Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 pm

JFK literally prevented a catastrophic war from occurring so I think that should be noted.
Kelly Lazzaro
Kelly Lazzaro
Social Worker
Social Worker

Posts Posts : 1
Karma Karma : 0
Cash Cash : 655

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Cabral Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Kelly Lazzaro wrote:JFK literally prevented a catastrophic war from occurring so I think that should be noted.
Excuse me? Just what are you talking about. He didn't prevent anything. All he did that I could even think that could be anything near "preventing" was offering to set up a blockade instead of launching missiles. Other than that, he aligned U.S. missiles into Russian Territory and ordered ballistic missiles be placed in Turkey.
Steve Cabral
Steve Cabral
Member of the Omega
Member of the Omega

Cash Cash : 3155

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u41rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Medley Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Steve Cabral wrote:
Kelly Lazzaro wrote:JFK literally prevented a catastrophic war from occurring so I think that should be noted.
Excuse me? Just what are you talking about. He didn't prevent anything. All he did that I could even think that could be anything near "preventing" was offering to set up a blockade instead of launching missiles. Other than that, he aligned U.S. missiles into Russian Territory and ordered ballistic missiles be placed in Turkey.
True, though the Bay of Pigs is the result of a consensus in US politics stretching back to the Monroe Doctrine. The plan was commissioned by Eisenhower.

JFK as a progressive icon is very absurd and completely dependent on symbolism. The best thing he ever did for progressive causes was give LBJ the political capital to push for civil rights. Too bad it took a couple bullets...
Oswald Medley
Oswald Medley
High School Dropout
High School Dropout

Posts Posts : 4
Cash Cash : 2622

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u17rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Maryanne Le'Touie Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 pm

@Oswald Medley JFK isn't really a "progressive icon." Seems to me nowadays he's simply seen as an American president, one that transcends party — much like Truman and Eisenhower. Republicans like the fact he was the first president to cut income taxes since FDR raised them. I'd say progressive icons are FDR, LBJ and probably eventually Obama.
Maryanne Le'Touie
Maryanne Le'Touie
Adams Medical School
Adams Medical School

Posts Posts : 3
Karma Karma : 1
Cash Cash : 356890
Joined Joined : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Grant Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:45 pm

George Bush Jr. was the fucking worst.
Danny Grant
Danny Grant
World Cool Experts
World Cool Experts

Karma Karma : 17
Cash Cash : 665

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u54rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Santosh Patel Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Danny Grant wrote:George Bush Jr. was the fucking worst.
I'm assuming trump doesn't fit in the "was" category.
Santosh Patel
Santosh Patel
Bradford PhD
Bradford PhD

Cash Cash : 366750

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u137rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Simuel Oliver Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Santosh Patel wrote:
He's not a president.
Simuel Oliver
Simuel Oliver
Quentin at Bradford School of Knowledge

Posts Posts : 7
Karma Karma : -1
Cash Cash : 2176

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Simuel Oliver wrote:
Santosh Patel wrote:
He's not a president.
@Simuel Oliver Look, I get that he isn't the best human being on the planet, but face the fucking facts. He's literally the 45th president of the United States. Even if he resigns/gets impeached/gets shot he will still be down in history as a U.S. President.
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Posts Posts : 24
Karma Karma : -11
Cash Cash : 8204

Back to top Go down

Post by Latin Peer Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:54 pm

@Wayland Hubbard This is the 2nd time you've defended the man in office. If you're a supporter, fine, but don't go around evasively defending him, yet at the same time act as if you don't support/favor him. Just say you support him and that's it.
Latin Peer
Latin Peer
Bradford University
Bradford University

Karma Karma : 2
Cash Cash : 3467
Joined Joined : 2011

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u8rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Simuel Oliver Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Wayland Hubbard wrote:
Simuel Oliver wrote:
Santosh Patel wrote:
He's not a president.
@Simuel Oliver Look, I get that he isn't the best human being on the planet, but face the fucking facts. He's literally the 45th president of the United States. Even if he resigns/gets impeached/gets shot he will still be down in history as a U.S. President.
He doesn't conduct himself like a President. He doesn't lead like a President. He doesn't execute like a President.
He's not a President. Anyone can be a damn placeholder.
Simuel Oliver
Simuel Oliver

Posts Posts : 7
Cash Cash : 2176

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Clark Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:08 am

Harry Truman is my favorite modern (post WW2) president, I think a strong case can be made for him being one of the best. He desegregated the military and federal agencies, organized the military into the DoD and established the US Air Force (previously Army Air Corps), CIA (previously OSS) and NSA, brought the US economy back to normal after the war ended, the Marshall Plan, containment against Communism, was a United Nations founder, NATO, and more. He had a large hand building the foundation of the world order we enjoy.
Earl Clark
Earl Clark
Professor at Adams University

Posts Posts : 2
Cash Cash : 309

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u12rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Ward Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:10 am

@Earl Clark "Established the CIA"... are you sure about this being a positive aspect of Truman?
Sara Ward
Sara Ward
Bradford M.D.
Bradford M.D.

Posts Posts : 4
Cash Cash : 1320

Back to top Go down

Post by Samrah Abdullahqq Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:12 am

Sorry @Sara Ward but every nation needs a foreign intelligence agency. You may not agree with everything the CIA has done since its establishment (i.e. after Truman left office), but it's hard to argue that they shouldn't exist.
Samrah Abdullahqq
Samrah Abdullahqq
Freemen
Freemen

Cash Cash : 432000

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u11rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Middleton Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:16 am

LBJ and FDR would be our greatest presidents unequivocally, if not for Vietnam and Japanese internment respectively.
Brian Middleton
Brian Middleton
Citizen
Citizen

Karma Karma : 1
Cash Cash : 21268

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u139rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Moon Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 am

Brian Middleton wrote:LBJ and FDR would be our greatest presidents unequivocally, if not for Vietnam and Japanese internment respectively.
How COULD you possibly bring LBJ even remotely close to this conversation when Vietnam is a thing???
Riley Moon
Riley Moon

Posts Posts : 5
Karma Karma : 42
Cash Cash : 3417

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u42rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Clark Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:19 am

Samrah Abdullahqq wrote:Sorry @Sara Ward but every nation needs a foreign intelligence agency. You may not agree with everything the CIA has done since its establishment (i.e. after Truman left office), but it's hard to argue that they shouldn't exist.

Especially considering the efficiency of the KGB (then MGB) at the time, it would be completely foolish to not exist. You can make an easy argument for British Intelligence playing a major role winning the war which Truman would certainly be aware of.
Earl Clark
Earl Clark

Posts Posts : 2
Cash Cash : 309

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u12rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down